Sunday, May 4, 2008

KALEIDOSCOPE

As per Oxford dictionary the kaleidoscope is a toy tube containing mirrors and colored fragments reflected to produce changing patterns. In this episode you will find me narrating one of my various childhood activities.

Probably it was sixth standard me studying and kaleidoscope came to occupy my fancy. The urge to create and show it to others occupied my all waking hours. It has to be done. How could it be done? My brothers derided me and the friends made fun out of me. The ability to create has to be proved. It is a challenge. Taken up it seriously.

Mom was watching from the sidelines fearfully lest me may ask for some money. We were not economically well off and she has to guard every “Anna” (erstwhile Indian currency coin). It happened. “Mom, can you give me two annas? (in the present day context it is 12 paise Indian currency coin). Smiling with some difficulty she said “Okay, take two annas and nothing more”. Today when me think of my Mom, tears well up in the eyes.

Moore Market used to exist by the side of the present day Chennai (Madras) Central Railway Station. This was named after some Englishman famous for something in those days. This was demolished for the expansion of the Chennai (Madras) Central Railway Station. This may not exist now.

It is about six miles (roughly 12 kilometers) to the Moore Market from my home. Me walked the distance in the scorching of the summer, wearing an half-pant and half-sleeved shirt, holding the two annas safely. Scoured the market. Bought two pieces of glass – one is a mirror and the other is a plain glass each of one inch diameter. The plastic magnifying lens came into the bargain. My cousin broke her bangles and gave them to me (very sweet of her).

Tore off the cover of an old full scale note book. Made a tube of it. With the home made paste fixed the mirror first. Then the broken bangle pieces went in. The plain glass was fitted to hold the bangle pieces in place. On the top fixed the plastic magnifying lens. Hurray! the Kaleidoscope created for everyone to see.

Mom saw it first. She felt very happy and gave a kiss which was very rare. My cousin got the peek for her contribution. She looked at me in such a way which today I realize an expression of love.

Those who derided me and made fun of me had to eat the humble pie. Me showed this kaleidoscope to the Science Teacher. He gave me extra five marks in the science subject.

1 comment:

Metamorphosis said...

This is beautiful, I wonder how she managed those 2 annas! Love this post.