Wednesday, November 21, 2007

SEPARATION – DESTINY

Either it was 28 or 29 Feb 1969, the grand old Grant Trunk Express from Chennai (Madras) steamed into the platform No.1 of the New Delhi Railway Station. Sechu and Sowmi were there to pick me up. Then transported down to 17A/47 WEA Karol Bagh. The winter chill was still there. Yet me took a cold water bath. Sechu took me to Grand Vaishno restaurant for a hearty meal of Roti and Vegetables. The beginning of my stay in New Delhi.

Agfa and Gevaert, the photographic and other film makers, merged all over the world and in India too. The retrenchment of employees took place. Bedridden with the typhoid and with the application of “last come-first go” principle, the axe fell on me. The Industrial Disputes Act was clear and there as no scope to fight back. Baradan took the case of his dismissal and failed.

Ruminating over the much harassed career path and not finding an alternative job so easily, me thought of changing the place of my destiny. . My other brothers were not of much help. Rucku, my sister approached Ramu, my second elder brother. He was categorical to say “let him stand on his own feet”. Gopal, my elder brother, wrote to Sechu and Sechu said come over here. The arrangements were made to move to Delhii. My sisters were not happy. My eldest brother, Appu, kept himself aloof from the discussion. No love lost between us.

The separation has to take place. Me was not bothered about my brothers and father. The pivotal point is to convince my mother. With an unhelpful husband and having undergone enormous amount of harassment at the hands of her brother and his family, my mother became a hysteria patient. The tears have dried up in her eyes. Along with her me also lost the tears.

Mother likes coffee. The coffee has to be a middle-brown one. It should not be blackish brown or whitish brown. Mother was sitting in an easy chair. Me tell my sister, Rucku, to prepare the coffee. Rucku knows my mother’s preference. The coffee came and me sat with my mother. “Mother, me moving down to Delhi for better career opportunities”. For a while it appeared the statement did not impact her. In a flicker of second everything changed. Her eyes reflected a consternation, confusion the diabolical fear of comprehension and sorrow. “Why should you go to Delhi? So what if you have lost a job. You may get one soon. I am here to take care of you. Did anyone say anything to you. Appu! did anyone say anything to Ranga? Why is he going to Delhi?” The already shrunken physique was trying shrink further. The eyes were trying to well up! Alas, there were no tears in her eyes. Or is it that a drop was trying to fall down? My eyes also tried to well up but the tears were not there. Even while writing this piece, my eyes well up. There were no tears to drop. Mother of eight kids could not accept the separation of even one in spite of her flailing health and the dependence on her other sons.

“Mother it is my decision and informed everyone. None said anything. Give me a month’s time. If no good jobs come around, me will come back to Chennai (Madras). If good opportunities come around, me will visit frequently to see you.” “Look Ranga going away itself I cannot accept. It will be if blasphemy if you come back defeated. I cannot accept this. Go, if you must. My blessings go with you. Lord Krishna will be with you.” Me could not find the strength and words to console her on the separation. Prostrating before the lotus feet of my Mother, me took leave with a heavy heart. Sisters literally wept and yet kept a stoical silence. Sister-in-law was happy.

The separation has taken place and moved down to the place of destiny.

No comments: